A complete mechanism comes perfect with the use of Nuts & Bolts
If you have a mind to set up a mechanical workshop, you need to preserve different types of tools and types of machinery which will make your work very perfect. Even these will save your time and energy. At the same time, you will also have to use the nuts and bolts with the perfect system during use. Having no knowledge of nuts and bolts, you cannot run your professional work as, during the work, you will face lots of hassles. So before you start your workshop, just come to know the nuts & bolts in detail.
What is a nut?
A nut becomes a small object made of metal and in the middle of it, there is a hole. The curve holes come with the name of threads. Generally, nuts are used as a fastening device. It comes in a form of a hexagonal cap or circular shape. It is important to know that nuts come to work when a bolt is attached to them. Without a bolt, the nut is invalid for any kind of work.
What is a bolt?
Bolts are metal objects of a cylindrical trunk with grooves present inside in a nut. Generally, a bolt goes into a hole in a circular thread of a nut, and also bolt grooves fit with the nut grooves. The inside of a bolt is always circular and the stem of the bolt comes cylindrical in shape. As a result, it can come to rotate easily and even fit into the threads.
How do bolt and nut work together?
Nuts and bolts are designed to hold objects together. The work comes with inserting a bolt through two objects and the nuts come on the two other ends to be fastened. But the thing is that when you come to work in all categories, you should know all the types of nuts & bolts as every kind of work needs a particular type of nuts and bolts. Have a look at the below details of nuts & bolts.
Types of Nuts-
To use nuts at the right place and for the accurate needs perfectly, you should have knowledge of different types of nuts.
- Hexagonal Nut – This particular nut comes with a common form and it is used for general fastening purposes. It comes with a hexagonal-headed bolt.
- Square Nut – A square nut is used with a square-headed bolt. The spanner used in the nut will have a better hold on a square shape nut than a hexagonal nut.
- Ring Nut – Ring nut comes in the form of a ring with slots at the curved surface for a special c-spanner. This particular type of nut is commonly used in parts in need of locking.
- Cap Nut – It looks like a hexagonal nut used as a cylindrical cap just to protect the end of corrosion. It prevents leakage through the threads. Cap nuts are generally used in locomotives or smoke boxes.
- Cylindrical Nut – Cylindrical nut comes with another name, Capstan Nut. The shape of this nut comes like a cylinder. It has holes drilled at the curved surface to turn it with a tommy bar.
- Dome Nut – Dome nut comes with a special look. It is like a cap having a special dome at the top.
- Wing Nut – Wingnut is also popular with Thumb Nut. The particular nut is easily operated by one finger and thumb. It is used where the nut is adjusted frequently.
Shape & Sizes of Nut & Bolts-
The bolts come to work according to the size and shape of the nut. Bolt is available in different shapes and sizes-
- Hexagonal-headed bolt – This particular form of the bolt is very common and generally, it is used for general purposes. It is chamfered at its upper end. To prevent rotation of the bolt during screwing the nut off or on, the head of the bolt is held by another spanner.
- Square-Headed Bolt – This bolt comes to be used commonly when the head is in a recess that comes in a square shape. As a result, the bolt is preserved for turning when the nut comes on or off. It comes with a neck of a square cross-section. It prevents the rotation of the bolt. The bolt is normally used in bearings.
- Cylindrical or Cheese-Headed Bolt – This bolt comes to be used where projecting corners are completely unacceptable and even where the space for arranging bolt-head is limited. The rotation of the bolt comes with prevention with a pin inserted into the shank below the head. This bolt generally is used in big ends of eccentrics or connectors.
- Round-Headed Bolt – This particular bolt is used in case of undesirable projecting and for better appearance. This type of bolt is used for the construction of tanks and the parts of locomotives.
- T-Headed Bolt – It is used for securing clamps, vices, and other accessories to the machine tools and tables that are provided T-slots to accommodate the T-heads. The neck of the bolt comes square in the section just to prevent rotation of the bolt.
- Countersunk-Headed Bolt – This bolt is necessary where the head of the bolt is not wanted above the surface of the connecting area., It comes with a snack or a neck to stop the rotation of the bolt.
Special Purpose Bolts-
There are some bolts that are required for special purposes given below-
Stove Bolt – A stove bolt comes with a head in need to fit a countersunk hole. It has a slot on the head. This bolt comes to be active with a screwdriver. It comes with the head of the bolt having a surface of the work.
Carriage Bolt – A carriage bolt is required for fastening wooden parts or for fastening metal parts to wood. Its squared portion prevents rotating when the nut is tightened or slackened.
Hook Bolt – The hook bolt comes to be used as a semi-permanent fastening in concrete. This is used in the case of a bolt hole. That means the hook bolt is used for attaching shaft hangers to the flanges of girders or joists.
Rag Bolt – Rag Bolt is used for fixing into the stone or concrete foundation. It comes with a wider head at the bottom than the top.
Difference between Nuts & Bolt-
|A nut comes as a fastener and is always used with bolts||The bolt comes with a solid cylindrical fastener.|
|The nuts have a shape of hollow circular cylinder shape with a circular cross-section.||The bolts come with solid cylinders & a circular cross-section.|
|It is used as a fastener in conjugation with bolts.||It is used as a fastener in conjugation with nuts.|
|The materials used in the nut are carbon steel coated.||The mechanism of the bolt comes with high-grade steel, nickel and chrome.|
|They are without heads.||They are in the form of tightening and loosen|
|There are several types of nuts like Hex Nut, Nylon Insert Nut, Jam Nut and many more.||Tensile forces come on it and its failure is due to tensile stresses. There are different types of bolts such as lift bolt, machine bolt, timber bolt, J-bolt and many more|
|Nuts run with an internal hole and threads.||The bolts have external threads|
|Nuts have smaller in size.||The bolts have larger in size than bolts|
In need of a result-oriented mechanism, just come to learn the mechanism of nuts bolts.
Here are some suggested articles, you should consider reading-
Abhishek Tiwary is a blogger by passion and a Quality Engineer by profession. He has completed his B.Tech degree in the year of 2017. Now working in a reputed firm and He loves to share his knowledge with others.