This is Abhishek, Welcoming you to Engineers Rail‘s another blog post in Boiler Series with Stirling Boiler.
I hope, this will give you the best possible knowledge regarding this boiler while going through this blog post.
Well, that’s it for the introduction part, Let’s move to the mainstream starting with the definition first…
What is Stirling Boiler?
As you can see, the Stirling boiler name is kept on the name of the inventor of this boiler.
Parts and Construction of Stirling Boiler-
The several parts or Boiler’s Mounting and Accessories and their work of the Stirling water tube boiler are listed and described below-
- Super Heater
- Steam Circulation Tube
- Water Circulation Tube
- Safety Valve
- Flue gas Outlet
- Brick Work Enclosure
- Steam Drum
- Mud Drum
- Bent Water Tube
1. Super Heater-
A Superheater is one of the boiler Accessories which is used to convert saturated steam into superheated or dry steam.
Example– Locomotive Boiler
2. Steam Circulation Tube-
As its name indicates, It circulates the steam from one place to another in the boiler and also prevents the steam from being in a single place and thus prevents overheating.
3. Water Circulation Tube-
This is also one of the boiler accessories which works the same as the steam-circulating tube, the difference is- It circulates water instead of steam.
4. Safety Valve-
This safety valve prevents the boiler from being burst, releasing the extra steam generated by the boiler over the desired range.
Although, It works just like a pressure cooker.
5. Flue gas Outlet-
Flue gas outlet is a second name of the chimney where totally used flue gases are released into the atmosphere from the flue gas outlet.
6. Brick Work Enclosure-
As the name indicates, It is a square-shaped brick structure that contains all parts of the stirling boiler inside.
7. Steam Drum-
This boiler contains three steam drums which further collect the generated steam coming from the bent tubes.
The generated steam is collected at the upper surface of these drums.
8. Mud Drum-
The unwanted water particles are settled down into the mud drum and further clean water is supplied.
9. Bent Water Tube-
The multiple bent tubes are placed into this boiler coming from the mud box and going to all three steam drums.
The water inside the bent tubes is heated with the help of flue gas coming from the combustion chamber.
Working of Stirling Boiler-
- First of all, Water is filled into the first drum from feed water.
- From there, Water travels to the bent tube and further goes to the second and third steam drums passing by the mud drum.
- As you know, the Mud box settles down some impurities as well unwanted particles coming from the feed water and further pure water goes to the steam drum via bent tubes.
- As you know, the Mud box settles down some impurities as well as unwanted particles coming from the feed water and further pure water goes to the steam drum via bent tubes.
- All three of the steam drums are connected with the circulating tubes to circulate water and steam to each other and thus further maintaining the desired level in all three drums.
- Now, Flue gases coming from the combustion chamber heat up the bent tubes and further water inside the tubes.
- The heating of water creates steam and that generates steam collected at the upper level of the steam drum.
- Now, Collected steam is sent to superheater to superheat the steam and send it for use.
Stirling Boiler Specifications-
These are some basic specifications of this boiler-
- Fuel Used- Coal
- Steam Drum- Three
- Mud drum- One
- Working Pressure- 180psi
- Capacity of steam generation- 50000 kg per hour
- Height- Approx. 20 Feet
Stirling Boiler Applications-
- Textile Industries
- Cotton Mill
- Compound Engine
- Power Stations
- For heating Purpose
Advantage of Stirling Boiler-
- Easy-to-clean boiler
- Able to produce high-quality steam
- High in Efficiency
- Quick installation
- Handles load variation effectively
Disadvantage of Stirling Boiler-
- Lots of effort is needed to run this boiler
- Comparing to its size, It could be more efficient than now.
This is all I have for now in the Stirling boiler. I hope you liked being here and got your desired knowledge.
Share with needy ones and bookmark Engineers Rail for further convenient readings.
Till then take care of yourself and your loved one.
Here’s your freebie to collect before you leave-
|Stirling Boiler Pdf|
Here are some recommended articles, You should read further-
Abhishek Tiwary is a blogger by passion and a Quality Engineer by profession. He completed his B.Tech degree in the year 2017. Now working in a reputed firm. He loves to share his knowledge with others.